Age and disability bring whole new levels of difficulty and risk to completing many of the most mundane and essential everyday tasks. For older adults and those with physical limitations, there may be no part of the home that’s more challenging than the bathroom. While assisted living facilities and senior living communities strive to make bathrooms safe and accessible, many people neither want nor especially need to move to these places—particularly when bringing aging in place design to their own home is a viable option.
Aging in place design in Lafayette, IN offers the opportunity for older and disabled individuals to remain in comfortable and familiar surroundings, but with modifications that provide safety, security and accessibility. Best of all, features adding through aging in place design are intended to help individuals well into the future, even as the effects of age and infirmity grow more pronounced.
Here are just some of the many helpful and convenient features that can be introduced to bathrooms through aging in place design in Indiana:
- Grab bar: Installing a grab bar (or two) can make getting into and out of the tub substantially easier and a whole lot safer. Grab bars can be placed according to height and weight needs, as well as integrated into the overall look of the tub. We also offer options for walk-in showers!
- Shower bench: Speaking of showers, it can be extremely difficult for many older or physically impaired adults to stand for the duration of a shower. We can make the task of bathing less exhausting and far more pleasant through the installation of a shower bench.
- Textured tiles: Slip-and-fall accidents are one of the leading causes of injury for adults with physical challenges. Fortunately, textured bathroom tiles are available in a number of designs, colors and styles, and these can help with traction and prevent accidents.
- Handheld showerhead: Another potential bathroom hazard is all the twisting and turning involved in taking a shower, which can be both difficult do to mobility issues and dangerous due to the slippery surface. Installing a handheld showerhead removes much of that movement and reduces the likelihood of a slip-and-fall accident.
- Smooth flooring transitions: Sometimes it’s not just the bathroom itself that causes problems and creates risk. The transition from the hallway to the bathroom may present a tripping hazard in the form of floor strips. Fortunately, we can install smoother alternatives to make getting into the bathroom a safer process.
At Design Alternatives, we are certified specialists in aging in place design in Lafayette, IN, and we strive to work with our clients to meet all of their accessibility needs while also maintaining a sense of style. We do not use a one-size-fits-all approach. Instead, we will work closely with you to ensure you’re getting the features your situation demands, as well as a look and feel you can enjoy and appreciate for years to come. To learn more about how we can help, contact us today!
Categorised in: Aging in Place Design
This post was written by Writer